Differences Between Future Tenses
- We use “going to” to talk about a planned activity for future.
A: There is a good movie on TV tonight.
B: Yes. I know. I am going to watch it.
- We use “will” when we decide to do something at the time of speaking.
A: What would you like to drink, sir?
B: I will have a glass of milk, please.
- We use “going to” for prediction in the near future. The speaker is sure because there are signs about it.
She is standing at the edge of the cliff, she is going to fall.
- We use “will” for prediction in the remote future
A: How is he, doctor?
B: Don’t worry. He will get better.
- We use “will” for requests, invitations and offers.
Will you shut the door, please? (Request)
Will you come to the cinema with me? (Invitation)
That bag looks very heavy. I will help you. (Offer)
- We generally use “will” for prediction with the following verbs and phrases.
Believe , expect , hope , think , wonder , I’m sure , I’m afraid …etc
I believe he will pass the exam.
I hope he won’t leave us.
I am afraid he will fail the exam.
- We use “will” with the adverbs Perhaps, probably, certainly
(We do not use going to in this case.)
Perhaps they will support you in the election.
Jackson will probably go to London next year.
- We use “will” to express promise, not going to
I will study medicine at university.
I will stop going to the casino.
- We use “will” in a question tag after imperative, not going to.
Do it today, will you?
Don’t look at your friend’s paper, will you?
- We use “will” to give an order or state our wishes, not be going to.
Will you turn on the lights?
- We use “will” to express an action in necessity in the future, not be going to.
You will have to pay a fine if you don’t pay your tax on time.
- We use “will” for threat.
Study hard or you will fail.
Give me all your money or you will die.
Programa de imigração para o Canadá 1 – AVALIAÇÃO DE PERFIL – PONTUAÇÃOEste é o primeiro momento do processo, onde o objetivo é identificar se o candidato possui pontuação suficiente e é considerado qualificado à aplicar para a imigração.A avaliação de perfil também tem o intuito de orientar o...